Jalan Hayam Wuruk in 1954

A lively and colourful scene along the east side of the former Molenvliet canal in a rare colour photo of 65 years ago. Prominent at the front the characteristic washing ladies who have featured on so many historic Molenvliet pictures and who indeed were still present in 1954, but sadly a scene of the past and simply unimaginable in today’s Jakarta, let alone along this polluted canal.

Kebon Jeruk mosque

At the back the Kebon Jeruk mosque which still exists along today’s Jalan Hayam Wuruk number 83 (see photo in comment box). The first mosque on this site was already built in 1786 by Chinese muslims, and there are still a few original 18th century elements present today. In the back yard there still is a tombstone dating back to 1792. The side street to the right is now called Jalan Mesjid Kebon Jeruk but in the 1950s still known as Gang Mesigit. On the corner a few warung stalls and a sign that points to Hotel Inder, further down the side street. The photo was taken by Everardus de Jong.

source: NMVW, the Netherlands